Today was really all about the golf... We slept in again this morning, in fact we are going to have to set an alarm for tomorrow - we are picking up the Crum's at the Shannon airport - they are joining us for the last 2 days/nights in Ireland before we all join the Infinity gang in London on Thursday. Of course on the way to golf, Trav spotted a bakery in Ennistymon which will be our breakfast stop on the way to the airport.
I made our tee time several weeks ago from the US at a course called Lahinch. Lahinch actually has two courses, one - the old course - is a champion level links course, the other - The Castle - was also links style but off the ocean and more normal. So of course I chose the Old Course and holy moly this was real links at it's best. The greens, which I expected to be wicked fast and undulating were actually the easiest part. The fairways were HILLY and fast and of course lined with bunkers not to mention we didn't often get to see where we were going. We had what was considered a twilight tee time, so no free course guide and I didn't think to ask about buying one at the green fee check in, so we were totally playing in the blind.
The hole above was really a this tight and from the tee box you could see the hill behind Trav, but nothin else, it was like looking down a bowling alley. At the hill, Trav climbed up to see where we were supposed to go and it was actually over the big hill across the fairway for 18 and then on down to our green. It was crazy, at this point at least three holes were crossing paths in some fashion.
The next hole was this par three, and I don't even know if you can see the flag, but is between the small gap in the hills. Totally crazy, but one of two bogies I managed to eek out all round.
Yes, that is the ocean out there, it really was a beautiful course.
Except for this hole, number one handicap hole, ate me alive! Why do I look so far away? I'm in a HUGE hole with a bunker at the very bottom, luckily I wasn't in the sand, but the grass was long and it still took me two shots to get out.
It was definitely the signature view hole, guess that is supposed to make up for the TERRIBLE score here.
Behind us was the beach in Lahinch, also fantastically beautiful!
I had a great shot, within 2 feet, out of this bunker, and yes Trav is standing on the green looking down at me. Totally crazy!
We only ended up playing nine... I think I may have fractured my foot during the run on Saturday, so all the up down and around was starting to really bother my foot, so we decided to call it good enough, and of course enjoy a well deserved Guinness. First nine I've had in a long time without a par...
On the way home we opted for the cross country route through Doolin. This parapet (?) was just outside of Doolin and seemed a beautiful spot for a photo op, so here it is...
We also stopped just on the edge of Fanore to catch the serving sun on the old chapel at the cemetery - it was perfect light. And after a pint and some dinner, we finally got to see a gorgeous sunset over the ocean - every other night so far has been too cloudy!
Now, laundry so our incoming guests have fresh towels and roommates without stinky clothes, and then beddy by for us, we have a purpose in the morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment